The best magazine
How to Put on Nail Polish
- 1). Prepare your nails for nail polish. Use a cotton pad with non-acetone nail polish remover to remove old nail polish, traces of oil and residue from hand lotion. Use an orangewood stick covered in a cotton ball to push back your cuticles. Wash your hands with warm soapy water and dry thoroughly.
- 2). Roll the nail polish bottle between your palms so the color can mix and settle.
- 3). Place your hand on a steady and flat surface. Open the bottle of nail polish and get rid of excess polish by wiping the brush on the inside neck of the bottle. A small bead of nail polish should be seen at the end of the brush, providing enough polish to color the nail.
- 4). Position the brush at the base of your nail near the cuticle. Use one even, short stroke to apply the polish to the center of your nail. Polish outward in one direction, covering the nail from base to tip. Use another stroke to apply the polish to the right and left side of each nail. Repeat the same technique on your opposite hand.
- 5). Allow the first coat of nail polish to dry completely before you proceed. Do not touch or pick up objects, because the wet nail polish can easily smudge.
- 6). Apply another coat of nail polish to your nails if you want a deeper shade. You might also need to apply another coat of nail polish if the first coat is thin. Allow your nails to dry completely.
- 7). Dip a cotton swab in non-acetone polish remover and gently remove any nail polish that missed the mark and ended up on your skin.